Sunday, October 2, 2011

Utilitarians on Cost-Benefit Analysis

       Utilitarianism is a philosophy that basically is avoiding pain and seeking happiness. There are different variations of this, as Jeremy Bentham or John Stuart Mill might see it, but it boils down to most happiness for the most amount of people, and least amount of pain for the least amount of people. Now, taking a look at MY cost-benefit analysis, a utilitarian might comment a few things.
       A utilitarian such as John Stuart Mill might agree completely with my cost-benefit analysis, because it focuses on MY own desires and suffering. On the other hand, Jeremy Bentham might not completely agree with some of the things I said. Because this cost-benefit analysis was based on my desires, Bentham will say that I'm not considering the whole, or anyone else for that matter. Perhaps me going to school upsets a few people, or my going to school wastes other people's time, and not just mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment